I woke up wanting something different for breakfast. It was a lazy morning so no rush. Question was, what to eat?
Porridge is our staple breakfast and nice though it is (Quaker Porridge Oats no less) I felt like something else. I then thought muffins.
Now back in the UK we had a Nigella Lawson book with a fab recipe for Orange Breakfast Muffins – we had the oranges, flour, margarine, sugar, baking powder but sadly no eggs. Back to the drawing board!
Muffins on my mind, I scoured the recipe for a vegan recipe (no need for eggs!) and came across the recipe below for Banana Muffins! It required overripe bananas we had three (not four as required but large), we had mostly everything else lacking only chic chips and walnuts which were not essentials In my thinking.
The proper recipe is here, but here is my variation
- Heat oven to 190°C and line baking tray with muffin cases.
- Flour (1.5 cups) and 1 tsp of baking powder and 1 tsp of cinnamon mixed well in a bowl.
- Take ripe bananas and mash in a separate bowl.
- Add vanilla essence (1 tsp) and blue band margarine (2 tbsp) and again mix well.
- Add sugar (we only had one type of sugar – Demerara!) and mix in well
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and keep mixing until all the dry has been absorbed and the mix is consistent.
- Spoon into cases and bake for 15-20 mins
- Once cooked place somewhere to cook
Here are the results – I actually forgot oil (1 Tbsp) at step 4 but it did not
make a difference
Today is the one year anniversary of this blog –