T + 20
Today was a difficult day and after a lot of deliberation Anita and I came to a very difficult decision.
For the last two weeks we have had two house workers – one recommended to us by a fellow teacher, another her relative who she asked us to help her (since there was so much to do). Sadly things have not worked out as we hoped and after a series of events we came to our decision and dismiss them.
This was no rash decision. In order of the events which preempted our decision
- We “lost” two eating knives
- A roll of aluminium foil disappeared
- Bread disappeared from the fridge (we allowed them to have some but more went)
- A cabbage was eaten for lunch with no permission
- Anita found one of her language books had been written in by obviously Tanzanian handwriting
So this morning I stayed behind and left later for work. They arrived at 8 and we requested their key back, paid them off and terminated their employment.
I am pretty certain that the younger girl was the issue, but as they came together we had to dismiss both. In the end it was a complete breakdown in trust.
It’s not a nice thing to do, but it had to be done. We will now need to select a new house worker which is hassle, but there you go.